Mondiall Restaurant, the 5 star home of Chef Riaan Burger at the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, excels in consistently serving their guests the best quality and most beautiful meals. Chef Riaan uses Oryx Desert Salt both in the kitchen, and on the tables.
Here he shares one of his Oryx recipes with us. Dare you try to recreate at home? Please share your pictures with us if you do!
Oryx Cured Springbok Bresaola
goats cheese mousse, buchu naartjie
- Bresaola carpaccio
- Springbok phyllo cigars
- Cheese mousse
- Garnish: mini croutons, tomato chips, mustard squeeze, micro leaves, parmesan, ground Oryx black pepper, olive oil sprinkle
Springbok bresaola (makes 10 portions)
- 2each loins springbok- sinew removed
- 150g Oryx Desert Salt
- 750ml dry red wine
- 2tbsp honey
- 2cups mirepoix
- ½each orange- rind only
- 1each bouquet garni
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1each garlic clove- crushed
- 1each rosemary sprig
- 2tbsp juniper berries
- Butcher’s string and sushi mat
Add all the above ingredients (except the springbok) to a saucepot. Bring the contents up to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for 2 minutes.
Transfer the cooked wine mixture to a container, cover and refrigerate.
Add the springbok to the cooled wine mix and let cure for 24hours.
Remove the springbok loins from the wine mixture the following day. Pat dry with paper towel and then generously coat them with olive oil.
Place a loin on one end of the sushi mat, tightly roll, secure with string and hang to dry(could also do this using a muslin towel)
Hang to dry in front of a fridge fan or a biltong dryer.
Unroll one loin after 3 days to determine how far you prefer your springbok dried.
Springbok phyllo rolls (makes 10 portions)
- ½box phyllo pastry
- 2whl preserved figs- sliced
- 1bnch rocket leaves
- 100gr springbok bresaola
- 100gr chevin cheese
Brush each layer of phyllo with butter and stack these in sheets of 3. Layer one end of the pastry with springbok, fig, cheese and rocket. Tightly roll these to resemble a cigar of around 1.5 cm in diameter.
Brush with butter and refrigerate till required.
Flash these in a hot oven at 210 for around 4-8mins till golden brown and warm.
Bake only 10 minutes before serving.
Cheese mousse (makes 5 portions)
- 100gr chevin log
- 50ml cream
- 1sprig thyme- leaves stripped off
- ½ each garlic clove- finely minced
- White pepper
- Whip goats cheese with cream till fluffy.
- Season to taste with Oryx Desert Salt, white pepper and thyme leaves.
- Using a piping bag, pipe into a round cutter to mould and retain in fridge to serve.
Naartjie (makes 5 portions)
- 1cup sugar
- 1cup water
- ¼ tsp buchu powder (more if required)
- Bring all ingredients to a light simmer, let cool to create a simple syrup
- 2each naartjies
Segment the naartjies, remove all skin, lightly coat them with the infused syrup and finish with chiffonade mint
Do this an hour before use to lightly infuse
Layer 3-4 rows of thinly sliced bresaola to form a square off centre on the plate.
Sprinkle this with parmesan, micro leaves, pepper, olive oil, mustard drops, tomato chips and croutons.
Place mouse & top this with infused naartjie segments.
Finish with phyllo cigar.