This is the perfect braai dessert – simple, fuss free and fabulously delicious! One always thinks of doing this with Bananas – so it makes a refreshing change to use pineapple with its tart-sweet flavour – often a very forgotten fruit! It’s been awesome to discover that Oryx Desert Salt Braai is brilliant for flavouring foods other than meat.
Braaied Pineapple infused Salted Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream – Recipes by Chef Peter Ayub & Chef Angie Boyd www.senseoftastechefschool.com
Ingredients for Salted Caramel
- 250ml White Sugar
- 50ml Water
- 250ml Fresh Cream
- 60ml Salted Butter
- 5ml Vanillas Essence
- 5ml Oryx Braai Salt
Method and Preparation for Salted Caramel
- Place the water and sugar into a clean saucepan and set over a low heat.
- Dissolve the sugar completely before allowing it to come to the boil. Brush the sides of the pot continuously to keep crystals from forming.
- Boil until the sugar turns a deep caramel colour.
- Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the cream.
- Place back over a gentle heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, Oryx Braai Salt and Vanilla Essence
Method and Preparation for Pineapple
- Peal and halve your Pineapple
- Season with Oryx Braai Salt and Oryx Black Pepper
- Place 3 to 4 Star Anise per Pineapple half
- 2 knobs of Salted Butter per Pineapple Half
- Wrap in Foil
- Place in Coals – and Bake until soft and golden brown
- Serve immediately with Vanilla Ice Cream & Salted Caramel