Our theme this month is REFILL, REUSE, REAL VALUE which is all about being sustainable (see why we’re asking our customers to stop buying our grinders!) so we asked our chef partners in salt to let us know their favourite tip for being eco-friendly and sustainable in their kitchens. Here’s what our wonderful friends at Sense of Taste Chef School contributed:
“We give all our wet waste (that’s vegetable peelings and left over food) to our pig farmer France in Kayalitsha so we’re assisting the farmer to feed his pigs – and getting value out of our wet waste. We also have industrial herb garden boxes and we keep these going with lots of TLC and our grey water which we collect.”
And for this month’s recipes, we couldn’t resist making use once again of our brand colour theme – we got such exciting recipes last year, and this year the magic of Black & White is set to continue!
Chef Peter and Chef Byron have come up with the most heavenly recipe – a combination of soft sweet nougat with crunchy, rich cacao nibs and the taste sensation is rounded off by the addition of Oryx Desert salt & Oryx Desert pepper.
A real flavour and texture explosion in your mouth!
- 225g granulated sugar
- 50ml water
- 60g glucose
- 60g honey*
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 1 egg white
- 125g Cacao Nibs (we like Cocoafair)
- 1 teaspoon Oryx Desert Salt
- 1 teaspoon Oryx Desert Pepper
- Rice Paper
- When serving – a sprinkle of Oryx Desert Salt and Oryx Desert Pepper
* honey can be replaced by maple syrup or golden syrup
- Line a tin with rice paper.
- Place the sugar, honey, glucose and water into a saucepan set over a low heat.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve completely. Place a thermometer in the mixture, increase the heat and allow the solution to boil.
- Once the sugar has reached 140ºC, whisk the egg whites until stiff-peak stage with the vanilla.
- Continue to boil the sugar until the thermometer reads 145ºC.
- Remove from the heat and slowly pour the syrup mixture into the beaten egg whites, while continuously whisking.
- Continue whisking until the mixture cools and becomes thick. Stir in the Cacao Nibs, Oryx Desert Salt & Oryx Desert Pepper
- Pour into the rice paper – lined tin and place another sheet directly on top and then weigh down with a heavy board. Allow to set overnight before slicing.
- When serving sprinkle with some Oryx Desert Salt and Oryx Desert Pepper