Here’s Izelle Hoffman’s second recipe in our DIY SALT ‘n SEASONINGS series. She says she created this combination because ‘my dad is a farmer, and biltong is one of the things South Africa is famous for, and I finished it off with parsley for a pop of colour and some added health benefits!’
Parsley improves the immune system, is a blood purifier, anti-inflammatory, improves bone health and protects from osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
DIY Mix 1: Use Oryx Desert Smoked Salt
Smoky Biltong Salt Seasoning
- 70g Oryx Desert Smoked salt
- 30g Biltong Powder
- 3g dried parsley
- Prepare flavourings: You can make use of home made biltong powder or from your local supermarket or grocery store. If you prefer using fresh parsley, dry in the oven at a low temperature (60-80’C) or in a dehydrator.
- Combine the biltong powder and parsley with the salt. Combine using a small bowl, mix well but avoid pulverising the salt.
- The recipe is enough for 1 Oryx Desert salt grinder with a bit left over to refill once it is half empty. Store the mix in an airtight container, or ziplock bag if you are mixing in bulk.
- Ideally let it sit at least a day before using. Intensity of flavour will diminish over time, but it can last for a month
Ideal to use over salads, avo, beef dishes, sauces, soups, baked dishes and over popcorn!