Here’s another fabulous foodie-gift idea from the ever-inventive team from Sense of Taste Chef School Chef Peter and Chef Byron. This recipe makes 8 to 10 jars (220ml per jar) of sizzling delicious Chilli & Garlic Sauce. It can be used on its own or added to all sorts of stews, curries and sauces. But be warned: it’s a strong, bold gift, full of va-vooma and not for the faint-hearted!
Use a little, a lot and if it’s stored properly in a clean, sterilised jar with a lid in the fridge, it’ll last for ages. A small gift with a big impact!
- 750g Chopped Fresh Serana Green Chillies include seeds (or Red Chillies – whatever you can find as long as it is chilli with some va va voom) Red Chillies are rather nice for Christmas!
- 200g Chopped Fresh Garlic
- 2 Cups Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Cups Olive Oil
- ¼ Oryx Dessert Cup Salt
- 1 tablespoon Oryx Black Pepper
- ½ Cup White Wine Vinegar
- Extra olive oil for top of the jar
- Put the chillies and garlic into a blender
- Blend together slowly adding the salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and white wine vinegar
- Allow resting overnight in the fridge after blending
- Sterilise your jars or bottles and lids in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Dry and cool
- Fill the jars with Chilli and Garlic Sauce
- Cover top with some olive oil
- Wrap and put under Christmas Tree or into Christmas Stockings
IMPORTANT NOTE – once opened, it must be stored in the refrigerator and always use a clean spoon when taking chilli sauce out of the jar