- 1 hake fillet
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 20g fresh thyme
- A tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ciabatta bun
- 250g full cream smooth cottage cheese
- Sliced olives
- Sliced spring onion
- Sliced tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Oryx salt and pepper
- Pan fry the hake fillet by placing a skillet on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut oil and let it melt completely. While the coconut oil is melting, season the hake fillet with Oryx salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned hake in the pan. Add a splash of lemon juice and the sprigs of fresh thyme. You should aim to not dry the fillet out and let it be moist inside, therefore pan fry for a maximum of 3 – 4 minutes each side. Set the cooked fish aside once done.
- To assemble the ciabatta bun: cut open the bun and spread on a generous amount of full cream smooth cottage. Once completed, add the sliced olives, sliced spring onion, and sliced tomatoes. End it off by adding Oryx salt and pepper to taste and a good glug of extra virgin olive oil.
- It goes well with a Windhoek Beer or a pink gin & tonic, in a jam jar of course. To add a sweet treat to this picnic dish, add some strawberries and Nutella in a dipping pot. And don’t forget the bamboo fork for the hake.