IZELLE’S BLUEBERRY ALMOND-CRUMBLE BLISS
Even though Winter is traditionally the time we tend to indulge in warm comfort food, that doesn’t mean we have to overload on the carbs. Here’s a delectable treat that’s super-low in carbs yet completely satisfying and delicious!
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES
SERVING: 1 LARGE PIE OR 6 – 8 SMALL SERVINGS
- 20g almond flour and an extra 50g to sprinkle over the fresh blueberries
- 50g shaved almonds
- 50g dried chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Oryx Desert Salt
- 100g melted almond butter
- 2 tablespoons honey (preferably raw)
- 1 teaspoon caramel essence
- 480g fresh blueberries, rinsed and well-drained
- Pre-heat oven to 180’C.
- Use non-stick spray to prepare the baking dish or 8 small ramekins.
- Arrange the fresh blueberries in the baking dish or ramekins and sprinkle with almond flour. Set aside.
For the crumble:
- Whisk the almond flour, shaved almonds, dates, salt and cinnamon in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the melted almond butter, honey and essence and mix with fingertips to blend until mixture has a large crumble like texture.
- Spread the crumble over the blueberries and cover evenly.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the blueberry juices are bubbling at the edges and the topping is golden brown. Cover with foil after 10 minutes if browning takes place too fast.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool off on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving (this will allow the crumble to set properly).
- Best served when re-heated in the oven.