From young farm girl with a passion for food to entrepreneur and lifestyle chef – Izelle Hoffman’s passion for people and drive for improving the lives of communities around South Africa is unstoppable. She represents the organic food journey so many South African and African families identify with, living from the earth’s richness is the African wellness journey Izelle shares with the world.
Food, the same as culture is an international language and Izelle encourages people from all walks of life to rethink what they put in their bodies in a fun, healthy way.
As Izelle explains, time and health are some of the most important aspects that money can’t buy, making it two of the most precious commodities in your life. ‘’We only live once and we only have one body to live it in,” she reminds us.
We also only have one mother who brings us into the world and Izelle is celebrating her this women’s month. The recipe she shares is inspired by her mom who always used to make it at home – it’s scrumptious with a delicious healthy twist. While it’s super-simple, it also has a celebratory flair. Make it on the weekend and celebrate the day.
ALMOND APPLE CRUMBLE
Prep time 10min
Baking time 30min
Serving 1 large apple crumble
For the crumble
120g almond flour
50g flaked almonds
50g chopped dates
1 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Oryx Desert Salt
100g Almond butter
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the apple layer
2 cans of unsweetened pie apples
1/4 tsp Oryx Desert Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tbsp almond flour to line baking dish to absorb apple juices
- Pre heat oven to 180’C
- Prepare baking dish with non-stick spray and sprinkle with almond flour
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the unsweetened pie apples, raisins, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon
- Transfer to baking dish, spread out evenly and press down carefully
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the crumb ingredients together with your fingertips to blend until mixture has a large crumble like texture
- Spread the crumble over the apples and cover evenly
- Bake for about 20-25min, remove from the oven, drizzle with honey and bake for the remaining time
Allow to cool off slightly and serve either cool or warm