Here’s a gorgeously light yet flavourful weekend lunch or dinner; when you’re craving something wholesome and nourishing, yet easy on the palate. Ruvarashe Matsika is one of Jackie Cameron’s students at the Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine and she’s created this delightful dish using Oryx Wine Salt as a special seasoning.
Ruvarashe’s Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Red Wine Drizzle and Oryx Salt Artisan Bread Stick
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1tsp mild curry powder
- ½ tsp Oryx wine salt
- ¼ black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 leek
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp Champagne Valley Stoneground Cake flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1tsp fresh basil
- 1tsp oregano,
- ORYX wine salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper,
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 250°C
- Put cauliflower on a greased tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with curry powder and seasonings. Roast for 6-10 minutes or until cooked.
- Melt butter and oil in a saucepan. Add onions and leeks cook until tender.
- Increase to medium heat and add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds then sprinkle with flour and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat add your stock and season with fresh basil, oregano, ORYX WINE SALT, ORYX BLACK PEPPER and cayenne pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup cauliflower for garnish and add the rest to the soup.
- Bring the soup to the boil then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Puree soup in a food processor until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Garnish with the left-over cauliflower and serve with breadsticks – see below for the recipe.
- 1 cup of warm water
- ½ cup lukewarm shiraz red wine, or any good quality wine
- 2tbsp oil
- 1 ½ tsp Oryx Wine Salt
- 1 tsp yeast, instant
- 4cups champagne valley flour
- 2tbsp oil, for bowl
- 4tbsp melted butter
- 2tsp ORYX wine salt
- Preheat oven to 250°C
- Combine water, red wine, oil, salt and yeast in a bowl. Leave for 10 minutes
- Gradually add flour to the yeast mixture until it forms a soft dough
- Oil a bowl and add the dough. Cover with cling wrap and allow to rest for an hour until double in size
- Grease a baking tray
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and divide in half. Then make round balls of 30g each
- Roll these balls into long dough-like sausages or sticks
- Cover and allow to double in size
- Brush breadsticks with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining Oryx Wine Salt. Bake for 6-10 minutes or until golden brown, serve with soup.
Reduce some red wine and add a drizzle to the soup, for flavour when garnishing.