We love these! They are utterly more-ish and we love the smoky yumminess our smoked salt gives these crisp little crackers. Perfect for quick mezze platter lunches of dips, cheeses, charcuterie, pates or simply straight with cold unsalted butter! And there’s nothing like something homemade for a hostess gift – wrapped in a pretty gift bag.
Recipe by Chef Angie Boyd & Chef Peter Ayub of Sense of Taste Chef School
Makes about 30/40 crackers
- 375g Cake Flour
- 10ml Baking Powder
- 5ml Oryx Smoked Salt
- 15ml Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 90ml Morgenster Virgin Olive oil
- +-100ml Water
- Extra Oryx Smoked Salt for sprinkling
- Place the sifted cake flour, salt, chopped rosemary and baking powder into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour the oil and water into the well.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the water/oil , drawing the flour into the centre as you stir.
- Mix to a soft, but not sticky dough ( you may need to add a little extra water if necessary ).
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for about 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180⁰C.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 2mm in thickness.
- Cut out rounds of 6-8cm in diameter and place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Dock ( prick with a fork) the crackers. Grind some extra salt over the crackers and then bake until crisp and golden. ( About 15 mins)
- Remove and cool before storing in an airtight container.