We’re all about smoked foods this month – featuring our Oryx Desert Smoked Salt! Our partners-in-salt Sense of Taste Cooking School Chef Peter and Chef Byron have smoked up this stunning DIY recipe using Angel Fish which is sustainable and green-coded on the SASSI list.
How’s this for a beautiful “Local is Lekker” flavour: they smoked the Angel Fish using the Oryx Desert Smoked Salt and Rooibos Tea Leaves!
Here’s how to smoke your own:
Line a good sized heavy bottomed pot with tin foil. On top of the foil, mix together the following ingredients:
- handful Rooibos leaves
- handful raw rice
- 1 table spoon of Oryx Desert Smoked Salt
- handful wood chips (you get wood chips at your supermarket)
Have a steam colander ready that fits inside the pot. Place filleted fish inside the steamer, then fit into the pot with the lid on. Put it on medium heat and allow to smoke for 8 minutes. Then turn off the heat and allow it to continue smoking for 5 minutes.
Ingredients and Method
- 2 fillets of Angel Fish (1 fillet per salad) – Skin off
- Season the Angel Fish Fillets with Oryx Desert Smoked Salt and Oryx Desert Black Pepper
- Smoke your Angel Fish – as per instructions above
- Should your Angel fish not be cooked through after smoking you can just bake for about 5 minutes at 180’C with a drizzle of Morgenster Lemon Olive Oil
- Flake your Smoked and Cooked Angel Fish – taste fish – if needed, season with a bit more Oryx Desert Smoked Salt
- For the salad you can use whatever you have available – rocket, ice berg, cherry tomatoes, spring onion, watercress.
- Season your salad ingredients with Oryx Desert Smoked Salt and Oryx Desert Black Pepper
- We like to drizzle a yoghurt dressing over the salad (mix well 1 x cup Plain Greek Style Yoghurt with a handful Finely chopped Fresh Dill, and a generous seasoning of Oryx Desert Smoked Salt plus a good glug of Morgenster Lemon Olive Oil)
- Mix well – taste to check if seasoning OK
- Serve with fresh bread and butter.