Making Biltong is an age-old South African tradition and the process of curing meat for preservation is probably as old as mankind. We love biltong, and so do our beloved dogs!
Salt is an important part of the meat curing process and we love Oryx Desert Salt because it doesn’t have any added iodine together with the fact that it is local. Please do keep in mind that while salt is a crucial part of Fido’s diet too much salt can be bad, so please give treats as an occasional treat & always make sure adequate water is available.
500g Ostrich meat
31.5ml Balsamic vinegar
25 ml brown sugar
7.5 ml Oryx Desert coarse salt
3.7ml bicarbonate soda (this softens the meat)
1. Cut the ostrich into 1 cm thick slices & rub Thoroughly with vinegar
2. Mix the sugar, Bicarbonate of soda, & Oryx Desert Salt together in a bowl & Rub into the meat.
3. Layer the meat into a glass or stainless steel bowl & cover with cling wrap
4. Store in the refrigerator for 12 hours mixing every couple of hours.
5. Hang in a dry well ventilated area or in a Biltong Machine.
6. Biltong should dry in 5-7 days depending on the weather & personal preference
For a “human” version please feel free to add coriander seeds as well as some paprika & chili or other spices.